On December 22, 2014 The Armenian based environmental NGO, EcoRight, filed a request with the Ministry of Nature Protection of the Republic of Armenia to commence a criminal investigation against Mego-Gold (Global Gold subsidiary that operates the Toukhmanuk Gold Mine) for violating the laws of Armenia, and more specifically:
* embezzlement of state property through fraud;
* tax evasion through false entrepreneurship, hiding overpayments and other gained material benefits, which has caused major damage to the citizens of the Republic of Armenia;
* Performing illegal commercial activities without a special permit (license) to carry out entrepreneurial activities subject to licensing;
* violation of rules in implementing environmental safety activities;
* features of crimes in violation of rules of mineral resources conservation and use.
On January 16, 2015, The AArhus website (http://aarhus.am) published a confirmation letter dated December 26, 2014 issued by the Ministry of Nature Protection (Environment) confirming that "no inspections were conducted in the area of the (Toukhamnuk) mine, and thus no environmental impact assessment was made."
The letter from the chief of staff of the Ministry of Nature protection goes on to say that the "Tukhmanuk mine violations (have been forwarded) to the law enforcement authorities for initiating criminal proceedings."
English Translation of Original Complaint to the Ministry December 22, 2014:
English Translation of Reply from the Ministry December 26, 2014:
Armenian version of Original Complaint to the Ministry December 22, 2014:
Armenian version of Reply from the Ministry December 26, 2014: